cheezy cayenne kale chips
My house smells really yummy this morning! I love dehydrating things overnight and really would do it just to wake up to a tasty aroma every day… especially kale chips. These things are totally awesome – cheesy, tasty and filling, and packed with goodness including the big P (protein) and fiber, thiamin, riboflavin, folate, iron, magnesium and phosphorus, Vitamins A, C, K, B6, Calcium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese… woop, woop! I’m just sorry my Australian friends can’t seem to buy kale.
There are lots of recipes out there and to be honest I found a basic formula, mixed it up a bit and now have a tasty staple all of my own that I’m super happy to share :)
- 2-3 bunches of curly kale
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1.5 tbls nutritional yeast
- 1/2 t. Herbamare salt (or sea salt you don’t have it)
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Wash the kale, dry in a lettuce spinner and tear it in to bite-sized pieces, removing the stems and put aside
- Place the soaked cashews in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, adding cayenne pepper to taste – even if you don’t usually like spicy things I suggest adding a little as it really adds a lot of depth
- Coat the kale pieces in the ‘cheeze’ and place on mesh dehydrator sheets
- I coat them individually, rubbing the cheeze into all the little ruffles because I’m an anal-retentive freak! It takes me about 30 minutes but you can also mush it together by the handful, you get a similar result.
- Dehydrate on 105° for 6 hours or until they’re crispy
- I know people make baked kale chips so you can do this in an oven too. To keep them as nutritious as possible, use the lowest temperature available and leave the door open a crack – they take about 40 minutes and tend to get a little soggy and flat before crisping up.
Store in an airtight container for as long as you can make them last!
Guide: raw vegan | whole food, plant based | gluten-free | sweetener-free | soy-free